Huskyjunk.com :: 250 Mag Restoration
Welcome to the
Huskyjunk.com Step by Step 250 MAG restoration project.
Now that we have the aluminum triple clamp assembly
installed, we can put the front end together.
First we will mount the forks, which have been completely rebuilt with many new
parts. We are using the twin rib black leg forks from a 1976 GP model. These
forks allow the maximum 7" of travel to remain AHRMA legal and also incorporate
newer and revalved dampening rods for improved performance. The tubes were then
reassembled with new Progressive springs, plastic dampening washers, fork seals,
dust covers and filled with a custom blend of fork oil. (7 oz.) Its important to
remember that these forks were designed and built before the introduction of the
highly refined, lightweight fork oils used in today's modern bike forks. It is
therefore necessary to keep the viscosity and weight similar to the originally
intended oil. We use a blend of the recommended 30 W non detergent motor oil in
combination with modern fork oil as an anti foaming agent. This combination
works great and is readily available. Finally, we added a pair of Goki air fork
caps. Not to be used a full air forks, but as an adjustable air assist system.
With only 2-4 pounds of air in each fork leg, these caps allow the rider to
easily dial in the correct amount of compression resistance based on rider
weight, ability and or track conditions. When you only have 7 inches of travel
to begin with, don't waste 3" on sag.
There are 3 major components involved in making a bike turn.
1. Correct triple clamp offset.
2. proper fork action, not too stiff- not too soft.
3. the right tire pressure.
Get all 3 of these components working together and the bike will go where you
point it. Every time!
The new forks are now mounted in the alloy triples with the top of the fork
tubes flush with the top of the upper clamp. The forks can be raised or lowered
in the triple assembly for added rigidity, depending on which triple assembly
you use (alloy with Timken bearings, Profab or stock).
The front wheel was completely rebuilt. We opted for a 74 CR 400 hub rather than
the smaller 250 unit for two reasons.
1. Larger hub diameter means more braking surface.
2. New brake shoes for the larger hub are readily available and were installed.
Good quality shoes for the smaller 250 hub are very hard to find. The weight
difference between the hubs is negligible.
New wheel bearings were installed, hubs painted and then turned on the lathe for
accent. New stainless steel spokes were used to lace up the new Excel alloy
rims. Michelin S12 tires and tubes round out the wheel work.
While up front, we installed a set of Moose multi wall aluminum fat bars. You
can also use Renthal fat bars, they are just a little more $$. High quality
Magura dog leg lever assemblies were then added. On to step 6.